Friday, February 3, 2012

Novel of the Week #3

Novel of the Week #3
I know it's been a while since you've read about the Novel of the Week, but it's back! This week we're kicking off with The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. One of my closest friends recommended this book; it is her absolute favorite. I am half way through the book and also came across some important information concerning this book, any one who has read it or plans on reading it would like to know. The movie based on this book is coming out pretty soon and like any novel's fan, the moment they hear there's a movie coming out, their mind blows up with excitement!

Before I get into the movie details though, let me give you some background on the book. This story begins with a high school boy that lives by the standards of an observer, always standing on the side lines watching and analyzing. His letters, more intimate than a diary, are unique, hilarious, and catastrophic. Although we may not know to whom he is writing, we are welcomed to view his world, and many people's world as well. Like many teens, he finds himself trying to live his life as well as try to run away from it. I recommend this book because I believe, like many teens who think they are alone, can relate to the context of Charlie's letters. Despite the fact that Charlie sounds like a socially awkward, whiny boy, I think he also portrays the way teens develop after living a life of a bystander.

This year the movie based on The Perks of Being a Wallflower will be coming out, and I am happy I got to read this book before I watch it. Yes! I am one of those loud people that goes to book-based movies and yells at the producers because they missed key ideas from the book. You may laugh at the thought, or you might despise me, but I just 99% of the time love the novels more than the movie. I pay for the movie, I think I should get my money's worth!

Looking at the casting of the movie, I am a bit disappointed. Here's the link so you can check for yourself http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1659337/. I am semi-satisfied that Emma Watson will be playing the part of Sam, as well as Logan Lerman playing Charlie, BUT when I read the book, I did not imagine Ezra Miller as Patrick! As well as other characters. But, like the old saying goes, Everyone's a critic! Tune in next week for the Novel of the Week! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment